Sunday, November 10, 2013

Tech Time

I think we all know that technology is becoming an increasingly useful tool in the classroom.  If we are not utilizing technology in our classrooms, we are missing out on so many opportunities to enhance our lessons and connect with our students.  While I've had success using technology to enhance my teaching, I have struggle with figuring out how I can get this technology into the hands of my students.  I find this particularly challenging as an early-elementary teacher because my young students do not have the same 24-7 access to the Internet that many older students have and my little ones need to be taught how to use it properly.  This means that I need to use class time to teach them to use it and more class time to give them computer access. No!  Not my precious class time!

Yes, our class time is indeed precious, but I have found that the benefits of being able to use certain technology far out-weigh the sacrifice of a few minutes teaching time.
 
Today I want to tell/ask you about a couple of specific software tools that have been worthwhile in my classroom of 6-year-olds (this tool can absolutely be used with older students too;).  One of these tools is called VoiceThread.  Simply put, VoiceThread is an online discussion board.  We have used this forum to discuss our favorite books, get and give feedback on creative writing, and review concepts we've studied in class.  I've found that certain students who shy away from speaking out in class will share openly and with confidence on VoiceThread and all of my students have benefited from the peer-feedback shared on VoiceThread.

Initially I hesitated to use VoiceThread because I was afraid it would be too complicated to teach them to use.  Then I was introduced to ScreenCast.  ScreenCast is an online tool that allows you to video/audio-record your computer screen as you complete a task.  Here is the ScreenCast I recorded to teach my students how to comment on VoiceThread.  Using ScreenCast I was able to show my students exactly how to use the VoiceThread software and I was able to post the recording so that my students always have access to it if they need to watch it again.

In my class, as in many other early-elementary classrooms I know, we make use of "centers" for independent learning and research.  To ensure that all of my students have access to a computer at some point during the week, I created a Computer Center in our room.  Every student rotates through the Computer Center at least once during the week and can use that time to access the current VoiceThread. 

What are some technologies you use with little ones?  Do you have any tips or tricks for teaching computer skills?  Am I  under-estimating my young students?......it wouldn't be the first time I'm afraid :-/ They amaze me every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment