Saturday, November 9, 2013

What Gets Me From A to B

I have always loved maps.  Even with the convenience and ease of modern GPS systems, I still prefer the old-school atlas that we keep in the back pocket of the passenger seat:)  There is something satisfying about being able to see the whole big picture and figure out my path for myself.  Some might say that's because I'm a control freak, but I think there's something to be said for having a clear vision of where you want to go and how you plan to get there.

Maps can be extremely useful in the classroom.  A tool I like to use is the Concept Map.  Here's an example of a concept map I put together to map out a unit about the human body:






















Sometimes I will create a map like this ahead of time and use it as an instruction tool but I also really enjoy building maps with my students.  We've built them as a variation of a KWL chart to stimulate background knowledge and brainstorm at the beginning of a new concept and on the flip side we've used them as a review or assessment tool at the end of a lesson. (i.e. giving my students a partially filled in concept map to complete or rebuilding a concept map as a class for review)

I like road maps because I can look and see exactly where I've been and/or where I need to go.  In the same way, Concept Maps:
1.  Help students organize their thoughts and ideas about a lesson into main ideas and details or supporting elements.
2.  Allow us to teach with a clear goal at the center of the lesson.  Since concept maps build on a main idea, every new thought must connect back to the center concept.  This goal-oriented learning is helpful for both students and teachers!
3.  Present an organized, interactive collection of the most important points of a concept.  (Perfect for reviewing!)

In my classroom, I try to present all my lessons like a Map and not like a GPS.  Instead of directing my students around each curve as we come to it (like a GPS does) I try to make sure my students know from the very beginning, what the end goal is and how they can achieve that goal.  I have learned that
EVERYONE does better if he can see the point of the lesson, and I don't think that makes them control freaks;)

P.S.  I created this concept map using Kidspiration.  Some other good resources are:  MindmeisterMindomoMapMyself, and Bubbl.us.  

Have you used any of this software?  There are lots of examples out there of concept maps for older kids but I haven't seen as many for early elementary.  What concepts have you taught using maps?  Do you have a favorite use for concept maps in your classroom?

I'd love to hear your ideas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment