Friday, November 8, 2013

Wordle Shmrdle!


This is a Wordle.  It's a word-picture that I created to describe myself.  I love to use this online tool as a "get to know you" activity at the beginning of the school-year.  I like this project because we learn a LOT about each other and I find that each year I learn a lot about myself as well.  I think the students do too:)

This activity is SUPER easy;)  Here's how we do it in Ms. Becca's class:

1.  Ask your students to write words that describe themselves.
           -Sometimes with younger students I will type the Wordles myself so I let them use crayons and/or markers to make their lists so I can design their Wordles with colors they like;)

2.  Either have your students create their own Wordle or have them turn in their lists and you can type them up.
           -it's super easy, all you have to do is go to wordle.net, type in your list of words, and pick your colors!
           -piece of cake:)

3.  We spend the week sharing our Wordles with each other and at the end of the week we, as a class, create a Wordle that describes our class.
           -I print our class Wordle poster-size and post it in our classroom
           -The Class Wordle is my favorite part of this activity because I learn so much!  It's truly enlightening to see your class through the students' eyes.  The Class Wordle is also a great way to talk about class goals and what you HOPE for your class (i.e. How do we want others to see our class?, What do we want our class to be like? What are words that describe a good classroom?)


I've learned lots of fun things about myself and my students through using this tool.  There are so many creative ways to utilize it at home and in the classroom.  I've known parents who create Family Wordles with their kids.  Isn't that a great idea?!  I'd love to see some of your Wordles!  Check out www.wordle.net and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment